Knowledgebase: Uploading Your Site
Uploading your files with FrontPage
Posted by Salman U on 29 May 2004 05:08 PM
The following section will guide you step-by-step through configuring Microsoft FrontPage 2002 and earlier to exchange files between your computer and your web site. The steps shown here are for FP2002, however newer or older versions work in the same manner.
In order to proceed, you'll need to have three things: Microsoft FrontPage installed; a connection to the Internet via your Internet service provider; and you'll need to have requested to install the FrontPage extensions when you signed up.
Create a Simple Page
Before you can publish an html file to your web site with FrontPage, you must either have a page already created, or create a page. To create a page with FrontPage, follow these simple steps:
1. With FrontPage open, choose File --> New .
2. Type in "FrontPage test"
3. From the menu bar, choose File --> Save As.
4. Name the html file.
(If this file is to be your home page, be sure to name it index.html)
Once you have the file saved to your hard drive, you are ready to publish the file.
Publish Your Web Page.
1. From the menu bar, choose File --> Publish Web
You'll get a dialog box like this:
2. Click on the Options button
You will see a dialog box like this:
3. In the box below Specify the location to publish your site to: enter the full URL for your site.
4. If this is the first time you are publishing your site, select Publish all pages...
5. Select Include subwebs .
You should now have a dialog box that looks like this:
Be sure to use your real domain name instead of 'yourdomainname.com'.
You cannot upload with FrontPage until your domain name resolves to our name servers!
6. Click the Publish button.
You should now see a dialog box like this one:
7. Enter your username and password.
If you have entered all the details correctly, FrontPage will then publish your site. You will see a dialog box like this one when it has finished:
8. Click Done